This page is intended to try and answer frequently asked questions. 
*If you have a question in which this page does not address, please call the City Office at 402-336-3640.


What utilities does the City provide and bill for?
Water, sewer and garbage services are available. 

What are the Public Works office hours?
Monday through Friday 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.

What does it cost to get utilities in my name?
Deposits are $170.00. 

When is my utility bill due?
Bills are sent out on the last working day of the month. Payments are due by the 10th of the month, delinquent if not paid by the 15th. Second notices (disconnect notice) are sent on the first business day following the 15th of that month.

How can I pay my utility bill?
Payments may be mailed or dropped off at the City Offices. Office hours are Monday through Friday 8:00 a.m – 5:00 p.m. Payments may be left on our drop off box located on the west side of the building. In addition, automatic withdrawal directly from your checking or savings account is available, as well as online bill pay. Please contact the City Office for more information. We also take Visa/Mastercard Debit/Credit cards.​

Is the City water ever tested?
The City water is tested weekly as required by the Nebraska Department of Health & Human Services. Reports may be obtained from the Water Commissioner at the City Office.

Building Regulations

When do I need a building permit?
All new construction larger than 10' x 15' or any addition to an existing building require a Building Permit. Permit applications are available at the City Clerk's Office or on the City Website.

City Clerk 

When are the City Council Meetings?
Regular meetings of the Mayor and City Council shall be held on the first Monday of each month, except when the first Monday is the first day of the month, then it will fall on the second Monday. All regular meetings will commence at the hour of 7:30 P.M.

Who are my Council Representatives? 
Ward 1 – Kayla Burdick and Don Baker
Ward 2 – Susan Kramer and Tim Schneider
Ward 3 – Terri Krysl and Quana Kelly
Ward 4 – Beth Walsh and Tim Gleason

What Ward do I live in?
Ward Map

Where can I register to vote?
Holt County Clerk’s Office located in the Holt County Courthouse at 204 N. 4th Street in O’Neill, NE.

Where do I vote?
Wards 1 & 2 at Holt County Courthouse Annex located at 128 N 6th
Wards 3 & 4 at the National Guard Armory located at 635 N. 4th Street


Does my dog require a tag or license?
Any person with a dog over the age of six months within the City shall, within 30 days after acquisition of the said dog and thereafter annually by or before January 1 each year, file with the city police department a current rabies certificate showing that the dog has had a rabies shot effective for the ensuing year and maintain a current tag of the rabies shot information on the dog. The owner shall state at the time the certificate is presented, upon a printed form provided for such purpose, his or her name and address and the name, breed, color and sex of each dog owned and kept by him or her. 

How many dogs can I have?

​You may have up to two dogs per household.  Three or more require a Kennel License.  Please contact Police Department for more information.

Solid Waste/Refuse

Where is the Tree Lot/Grass Dump located?
Directions to O'Neill Transfer Station and Landfill

Can yard waste be put in trash containers?
Due to State regulations, yard waste must be separated from other forms of waste collected. The City of O’Neill offers poly carts for weekly yard waste collection for a monthly fee.

Does the City take recyclables?
There are two containers for separated recyclable material available at O’Neill High School and St. Mary’s south parking lot. Citizens may also bring separated recyclables to the transfer station at no cost. At this time, we do not have a method for recycling glass.

Frequently Asked Questions

City of O'Neill

"Nebraska's Irish Capital"